For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 and the General Data Protection Regulation (EU 2016/679) (“GDPR”) we are a data controller. The Know has a Data Protection Officer (“DPO”) who is responsible for matters relating to privacy and data protection. Our DPO is Charanjit Ryatt and they can be reached at 4 Imperial Place, Maxwell Road, Borehamwood, WD6 1JN.
Information we collect from Knowers (and Potential Knowers)
- As a Potential Knower, you provide your email address to us via our Website to indicate your interest in becoming a Knower. We use this information to send you an application to become a Knower. Before you submit your email address, we ask for your explicit consent to process this information. If you no longer wish to become a Knower, you can opt-out of further communication from us using the methods described at the footer of the application email, or by emailing us at Queries@theknowclub.co.uk
Existing Knowers may also submit the email address of a Potential Knower as a referral. Knowers are asked to confirm that the Potential Knower they are referring has requested and agreed to the referral. We use this information to send the Potential Knower an application to become a Knower. Any Potential Knowers who were referred by mistake or without their consent, or who no longer wish to become a Knower, can opt-out of further communication from us using the methods described at the footer of the application email, or by emailing us at Queries@theknowclub.co.uk
- Potential Knowers then receive an email from us with a link to our Knower application. If you choose to go forward with the application, you are asked to provide your name, address, travel preferences, and bank information using our online application form. We use this information to evaluate your application and determine whether to accept you as a Knower. If you become a Knower, we also use your address and location data to send you offers tailored to your specific location. Before you submit your Knower application, we ask for your explicit consent to process the information contained in it. If your application is accepted, we maintain your information until you are no longer a Knower (either because you have deleted your membership or because we have removed your membership at our discretion). If your application is rejected, we immediately delete your information.
- Part of being a Knower involves completing reviews of your hotel stays and submitting documentation for reimbursement. Each time you complete a review, we ask you to provide any receipts or invoices for which you are seeking reimbursement, including booking invoices and receipts from meals and spa treatments (where applicable). Every invoice is different, but submitting an invoice to us may include submitting your name, address and limited payment information. Any personal information on these invoices will be processed by us and shared with the reviewed hotel. The information provided on the invoices you submit is necessary for us to fulfill our contractual obligations to you as a Knower, and we rely on this as a legitimate means of processing this information.
If you submit photographs as part of your review, you must limit your photographs to the hotel premises and not include images of yourself or other individuals.
Information we collect from Hotels
When you access the Website or use our Services in the course of business (as a Hotel), we collect business information from you, including the following: 1) your business name, 2) email address, 3) physical address, 4) telephone number, 5) preferences and values. When you access the Website or enter an agreement for our Services, you are asked to consent to us processing and collecting this data on the terms and for the reasons explained below. We rely on your explicit consent and our duty to fulfill our contractual obligations to use and process this data.
How your information is used
As is true of most websites, we gather information about your computer or device such as your IP address, browser type, referring/exit pages, and operating system. This information and the information gathered above may be used to:
- drive future product development in line with customer platform and technology use;
- respond to customer service requests;
- send out a newsletter or occasional product alerts or marketing communications;
- improve the Website or Services and our marketing efforts; and/or
- respond to your questions and concerns
- share with select partners in an aggregated format
Certain features of the Website (such as uploading or downloading content) need to access information on your computer or device in order to work. By using such functionality, you consent to us accessing your device and information. If we can, we will ask you before the Website accesses your device or information.
How to edit, delete, or access your information
Use of our portal for your consumer or business purposes is intended to be self-managed as far as uploading and updating account information is concerned. In line with our Website Terms and Conditions, you are responsible for the content and information that you upload onto the portal. It is your responsibility to ensure that any content or information you upload is accurate and up-to-date.
If you would like to know what data we hold about you, you have the right to obtain your data from us at any time. You have the right to rectify any inaccurate information held about you, and you have the right to have your data erased. In lieu of complete erasure, you also have the right to request restriction of the processing of your data if the processing is inaccurate or unlawful, or if a complaint you submit to us is pending.
If you have any questions on editing, deleting or accessing your information, or to exercise any of the rights described in this section, please write to us at Queries@theknowclub.co.uk.
Sharing your information
Except as described below, we will not share your information with any third parties.
We disclose the information you provide us:
- to Netguru and Google (via G Suite), for the purposes of web hosting, web development and software maintenance;
- to banks and payment processors, for the purposes of reimbursing Knowers;
- to any other affiliates, subcontractors and third party businesses we work with in order to provide you with our Services; and
- to any of our group companies (which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 736 of the UK Companies Act 1985).
We have the right and responsibility to disclose the information you provide us as required by law or any applicable regulation or to protect the rights, property, or safety of ourselves or others. This may include disclosing to other companies and organisations in connection with fraud protection and credit risk reduction. We also have the right to disclose the information you provide us when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud, or respond to a government request.
If The Know is involved in a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of its assets, to any prospective seller or buyer of all (or part of) our business or assets, you will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on our website of any change in ownership or uses of your personal information, as well as any choices you have regarding your personal information.
Information shared with the above, with the exception of our contractors and subcontractors, is submitted in aggregated format, so that you cannot be directly identified by any information shared. Moreover, no one with whom we share your information will be able to contact you by means of the information shared. We will never pass your information to a third party for them to use in their own direct marketing without your express consent.
Retention and security
The security of your personal information is important to us. All information you provide to us is stored in an encrypted database. We will retain Potential Knower information for the duration of our application analysis process described above. We will retain the information of Knowers and Hotels for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services via the Website or our Services. Once your account has been deleted, we will only retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements. Please note that we retain the invoices collected for Knower reimbursement for up to 5 years to fulfill our account obligations with our Hotels and to ensure proper reimbursement of our Knowers. All payment data will be encrypted. You must keep passwords confidential. Please don't share them. Although we do our utmost to provide protection, we cannot guarantee complete security for your data.
If you wish to cancel your account or are no longer a Knower and want to request that we no longer hold your personal information, contact us at Queries@theknowclub.co.uk.
We may contact you from time to time about The Know, including marketing messages relating to us. We will do this electronically, for example by email.
We may contact you with information about our products and services and those of specially selected KnowOpps that may be of interest to you, in line with your marketing contact preferences provided to us through the Website. All such communications will come from The Know.
You may tell us at any time if you do not wish to receive marketing messages from us by editing your email preferences on the Website or by following any instructions we may include in the messages we send to you.